No question of supporting Congress led UPA: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister and BJD supremo Naveen Patnaik today ruled out his party`s support to the UPA government at the Centre which was facing "instability" following Trinamool Congress` decision to withdraw support.
"Withdrawal of support by Trinamool Congress has put the Centre in an unstable and weak position ... There is no question of support to the UPA government from BJD," Patnaik told reporters before leaving for Delhi on a five-day visit.
Asked whether he is ready for an early poll, Patnaik said, "BJD will do well with blessings of the people in any election whether it is early or not."
Patnaik also said it was too early to say anything regarding the possible alliance with any party in case of a mid-term poll. "We will see what happens in future," he said.
To a question whether he sees a mid-term poll under the prevailing situation, the chief minister said, "Let us watch and see. But it seems instability has come as far as the Central government is concerned."
Optimistic about the performance of regional parties in next polls, Patnaik said they (regional parties) are getting stronger by the day.
On CBI probe into coalgate scam with regard to allocation of mines in Odisha, Patnaik said, "We run a transparent and clean government. So we have no problem."
However, senior Congress leader and Union Minister Srikant Jena said the UPA government has never sought support from the BJD and its support is not needed at all.
"Congress and BJD have been intensely fighting with each other in Odisha and there is no question of seeking the support of the regional outfit," he said claiming that there was no threat to the UPA government as no political party is in favour of a mid-term poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what