No race in BJP for PM`s post, says Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Back at the helm by the sudden turn of events, new BJP President Rajnath Singh Thursday steered clear of questions about the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate or about Narendra Modi being one, saying there is no race in the party for the top post.
He said a call on the issue will be taken at the right time and leaders will decide.
"In our party, for the post Prime Minister or Chief Minister there is no race and nor does anyone stake their claim. Who will be the Prime Minister or Chief Minister, either our Parliamentary Board decides on this or the elected MLAs in the case of Chief Minister and MPs in the case of Prime Minister select their leader," Singh told reporters.
He, however, praised Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his good work in Gujarat during the past more than a decade which has seen the state`s speedy progress and development.
The BJP chief said he would restructure the party soon after the National Council and National Executive meeting in mid-February and indicated that it could be held in Bhopal.
The party has kept the next meeting of the National Council and Executive in Bhopal, keeping in mind that BJP- ruled Madhya Pradesh goes to polls later this year.
Asked if the party could stall Parliament during the forthcoming Budget session over Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s Hindu terror remarks, he said the BJP`s strategy would be formulated ahead of the Session and the issue would be raised there.
Asked what role he foresees for the outgoing President Nitin Gadkari, Singh said "his role will certainly be there" and he would be a member of the BJP Parliamentary Board, the supreme decision-making body of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?