No race in BJP for PM`s post, says Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Back at the helm by the sudden turn of events, new BJP President Rajnath Singh Thursday steered clear of questions about the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate or about Narendra Modi being one, saying there is no race in the party for the top post.
He said a call on the issue will be taken at the right time and leaders will decide.
"In our party, for the post Prime Minister or Chief Minister there is no race and nor does anyone stake their claim. Who will be the Prime Minister or Chief Minister, either our Parliamentary Board decides on this or the elected MLAs in the case of Chief Minister and MPs in the case of Prime Minister select their leader," Singh told reporters.
He, however, praised Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his good work in Gujarat during the past more than a decade which has seen the state`s speedy progress and development.
The BJP chief said he would restructure the party soon after the National Council and National Executive meeting in mid-February and indicated that it could be held in Bhopal.
The party has kept the next meeting of the National Council and Executive in Bhopal, keeping in mind that BJP- ruled Madhya Pradesh goes to polls later this year.
Asked if the party could stall Parliament during the forthcoming Budget session over Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s Hindu terror remarks, he said the BJP`s strategy would be formulated ahead of the Session and the issue would be raised there.
Asked what role he foresees for the outgoing President Nitin Gadkari, Singh said "his role will certainly be there" and he would be a member of the BJP Parliamentary Board, the supreme decision-making body of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you