‘No reason to doubt safety of Pak nukes at this stage’
New Delhi: Amidst concerns over the
possibility of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal falling into the
hands of terrorists, India has said it has no reason to doubt
about their safety at this stage.
"At this stage yes, we have no reason to doubt that yet,"
Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor told
Karan Thapar`s `Devil`s Advocate` programme when asked if he
took the Pakistani assessment that their nukes were safe at
He further said, "We do not have first hand information
on that (Pak nuclear weapons). Certainly, those who are very
close to Pakistan seem to be convinced that there is nothing
to be worried about."
To a question if India has its own contingency plan in
case Pakistani nukes seem to be in danger of falling into the
hands of terrorists, he said, "Look, we are not there yet. I
am little anxious not to get into unnecessary alarmism at this
"Pakistan has a lot of difficulties, but they are not
about to fall apart yet as a state and they are not about to
have their army surrendering control of its most-prized
military assets to irregulars. So, at this stage, this is not
a concern but obvously this is a further argument for why
the Prime Minister has repeatedly said a stable, peaceful
Pakistan is in our interest too," Tharoor said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India