Guwahati: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh, who is in the midst of a controversy over his revelations about threats to Hemant Karkare from Hindu fundamentalists, Tuesday expressed his inability to prove his claims.
Singh had, last week, claimed that the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Karkare had called him up a few hours before he was killed in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack and told him about threats from Hindu organisations, as he was probing the Malegaon blast case in which some Hindu groups were allegedly involved.
After he was attacked by the BJP over his statements, Digvijay had promised to prove it with solid proof from the Telecom department that indeed he had a chat with Karkare on that fateful day.
However, speaking to reporters here today, Digvijay expressed his inability to do so as the Telecom department keeps call records for only a year and in this case it has been more than two years since November 26, 2008.
He said that he had written a letter to the GM, BSNL, Bhopal, seeking details about the calls made from his cell number but was told by the Telecom Ministry about its inability to furnish them.
Digvijay however stood by his comments, saying, “I am absolutely certain of what I have said, I stand by what I have said."
He however reiterated that Karkare was upset about LK Advani and Rajnath Singh questioning his sincerity, adding, “There is no need for me to speak a lie.”
The former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh also made it clear that he doesn’t doubt the involvement of Pakistan in the 26/11 attacks.
Congress distances itself
Digvijay’s remarks came even as his party was seen distancing itself from his comments.
Janardan Dwivedi, chairman of party’s media cell, made it clear that the onus of explaining the statement was solely on Digvijay. "It is regarding a conversation between two individuals one of them is no more. So Digvijay Singh will be in a better position to comment," Dwivedi said in what was seen as a clear brush off.
Digvijay is wrong: Kavita Karkare
Kavita, widow of Hemant Karkare, had also slammed Digvijay for “politicising” his husband`s martyrdom.
She asserted that `no Hindu outfit` was connected with her husband`s killing. "Pakistani terrorists killed my husband, Digvijay Singh is wrong."
"Do not link his death with threats from Hindu organisations. The statement can mislead people," she added.
‘Questions will be raised on 26/11 due to Digvijay’s comment’
Bharatiya Janata Party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad, reacting to Singh`s remarks, said: "His comments are unfortunate, and we condemn it."
"The country`s security, fight against terror and investigations into the 26/11 attacks case have suffered a serious blow due to Digvijay Singh`s comments. Terrorists from across the border will question the entire 26/11 attacks,” Prasad said.
"He should not compromise with the country`s security, and he is the one who went to Azamgarh (in Uttar Pradesh) and fetched a lot of criticism, and the Congress had to apologise,” he added.
Singh had gone to Azamgarh where many of those involved in the September 13, 2008 Delhi serial bombings belonged and spoke to their families.
Case filed against Digvijay
In fresh trouble for Digvijay Singh, a petition was yesterday filed in an Indore court against him, alleging that his remarks in connection with Karkare, was an attempt to whip up communal frenzy.
The petition filed in the court of Judicial Magistrate First Class DK Singh has been listed for hearing on January 7.
Advocate Vipin Singh Rathore said that his client Pawan Raghuvanshi has filed the petition against Singh`s controversial statement that Karkare`s received threats from Hindu `extremists`.
He said that Raghuvanshi has charged Singh of linking a sensitive issue to a particular religion in a bid to whip up communal frenzy in the country.