No reform of UN will be complete without reforms of UNSC: Prez
New Delhi: Underlining that India is suited for permanent membership of the UN Security Council, President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said no reform of the UN will be complete without the reform and expansion of the Council.
"India believes that no reform of the UN will be complete without the reform and expansion of the UN Security Council. It is essential that the Security Council is expanded in both the permanent and non-permanent categories," he said.
Mukherjee was addressing delegates of the 13th conference of chief justices of the world organised by City Montessori School, Lucknow who called on him at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
He said the inclusion of developing countries from Asia, Africa and Latin America, who are capable of global responsibility, will contribute to optimal decision making necessary to address the insecurity of developing countries.
"By any objective criteria, such as population, territorial size, GDP, economic potential, civilisational legacy, cultural diversity, political system and past and ongoing contributions to the activities of the UN-especially to UN peacekeeping operations-India is eminently suited for permanent membership of the UN Security Council," he said.
He said the country has also affirmed its willingness and capacity to shoulder the responsibilities of permanent membership of the UN Security Council.
Mukherjee stated that it is important that states reaffirm their adherence to the rule of law, with a commitment to abide in good faith to an international order based on respect for international law, including obligations under the Charter of UN, principles of justice and peaceful co-existence.
"Jurists have an important role to play in persuading states to abide by the rule of law and building support among the public for the same," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic