No reform of UN will be complete without reforms of UNSC: Prez
New Delhi: Underlining that India is suited for permanent membership of the UN Security Council, President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said no reform of the UN will be complete without the reform and expansion of the Council.
"India believes that no reform of the UN will be complete without the reform and expansion of the UN Security Council. It is essential that the Security Council is expanded in both the permanent and non-permanent categories," he said.
Mukherjee was addressing delegates of the 13th conference of chief justices of the world organised by City Montessori School, Lucknow who called on him at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
He said the inclusion of developing countries from Asia, Africa and Latin America, who are capable of global responsibility, will contribute to optimal decision making necessary to address the insecurity of developing countries.
"By any objective criteria, such as population, territorial size, GDP, economic potential, civilisational legacy, cultural diversity, political system and past and ongoing contributions to the activities of the UN-especially to UN peacekeeping operations-India is eminently suited for permanent membership of the UN Security Council," he said.
He said the country has also affirmed its willingness and capacity to shoulder the responsibilities of permanent membership of the UN Security Council.
Mukherjee stated that it is important that states reaffirm their adherence to the rule of law, with a commitment to abide in good faith to an international order based on respect for international law, including obligations under the Charter of UN, principles of justice and peaceful co-existence.
"Jurists have an important role to play in persuading states to abide by the rule of law and building support among the public for the same," he said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks