No relief for Rathore yet again, case deferred till tomorrow
Chandigarh: Disgraced former Haryana DGP SPS
Rathore, sentenced to 18-month prison term by a court here in
Ruchika Girhotra molestation case, Tuesday again failed to get
any relief as the Punjab and Haryana High Court deferred the
hearing in his bail petition till tomorrow.
The High Court`s single vacation bench of Justice Ajay
Tewari posted the matter for tomorrow after it was told to him
that advocate of Ruchika`s family Pankaj Bhardwaj was
The same judge had yesterday deferred the hearing on
Rathore`s revision petition seeking bail till today.
68-year-old Rathore`s lawyer wife Abha Rathore had filed
the review petition on his behalf in the High Court on May 26
seeking bail, a day after he was sentenced by a Sessions Court
here and lodged in the high-security Burail jail here.
On May 28, High Court Judge, Justice Gurdev Singh had
posted the matter for May 31 on the plea of the CBI counsel
that the investigating agency had not received copy of the
In her petition, Abha Rathore had alleged that the
appellate court had on May 25 passed the order "under media
Yesterday, CBI had strongly opposed Rathore`s bail plea
before the High Court, submitting that he must undergo "some
part of marginal sentence" awarded to him.
14-year-old Ruchika, a budding tennis player, had committed
suicide three years after being molested by Rathore on August
A sessions court had on May 25 enhanced Rathore`s jail term
from six months to one-and-a-half years while allowing the
plea of CBI and the Girhotra family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference