No request from states for aid from calamity fund: Govt

Last Updated: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 - 20:02

New Delhi: The Centre on Tuesday said it has
not received memorandum from any state seeking aid under the
National Calamity Contingency Fund, even as five states have
already declared "drought/drought-like conditions".

On a question if the Centre has sent any team to the
affected states to assess the damage suffered, Minister of
State for Agriculture K V Thomas replied in the negative.

"Inter-ministerial central teams are deputed for
assessment of the situation on receipt of memorandum from the
drought-affected states seeking assistance from the National
Calamity Contingency Fund. No memorandum has so far been
received from any state for the current monsoon season," the
minister said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.

So far, Assam, Jharkhand, Manipur, Uttar Pradesh and
Nagaland have declared either drought or drought-like
situation in some districts.

However, these state governments can avail funds under
the Calamity Relief Fund for taking necessary measures in the
wake of the drought, Thomas explained.

Bureau Report



First Published: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 - 20:02

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus