No rule only MLA could be the CM: Deshmukh
New Delhi: Union Minister Vilasrao
Deshmukh on Thursday appeared to be throwing his hat in the ring for
Chief Ministership, saying there was no hard and fast rule in
Congress that only an MLA could be elected to the post.
"There is no hard and fast rule in Congress that only
an MLA could be the chief minister," he told PTI.
Deshmukh, who was the second longest serving Chief
Minister of Maharashtra after the late Vasantrao Naik,
however, said that it was for the party MLAs and the high
command to decide whether who should be the CM.
In reply to a question on whether he would like to
complete his "unfulfilled task" as CM, he said it was for the
high command to decide.
Deshmukh was replaced by Ashok Chavan as Chief
Minister last year in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai terror
The Congress has done well in Maharashtra in both the
Lok Sabha elections held earlier this year as also assembly
polls under the leadership of Chavan as CM.
In reply to a query, Deshmukh attributed the victory
to the teamwork in Maharashtra Congress.
Deshmukh, who had been heading the high power election
management committee was one of the most sought after
campaigners in the assembly polls.
His son Amit was the party nominee from Latur, his
pocketburrow. Deshmukh is a Rajya Sabha member who was made
the Cabinet minister after the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO