No seat adjustment with BJD in 2014 polls: CPI
Bhubaneswar: The CPI on Wednesday decided not to have seat adjustment with ruling BJD in Odisha unlike the 2009 general elections.
"We will not enter into any agreement with BJD or any other non-Left party for the upcoming elections," CPI veteran AB Bardhan told reporters after the party`s state executive meeting here.
He said CPI would like to forge pre-poll alliance with CPI(M) and other Left parties, may be with CPI(ML).
Bardhan had said he would like to talk to BJD supremo and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on the possible seat adjustment with the ruling party and was hopeful that the party would like to repeat the 2009 arrangement.
Sources, on the other hand, said that the state unit of CPI was opposed to the idea of re-entering into an agreement with the BJD. The party had won a Lok Sabha seat and an assembly seat under the seat adjustment with BJD in 2009.
On the number of seats CPI would like to contest in 2014 polls, party`s state secretary Dibakar Nayak said, "We have received applications from five Lok Sabha seats and 35 assembly seats. The state council meeting scheduled to be held tomorrow will take a final decision in this regard."
Meanwhile, CPI-M has already announced its first list of candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch