No security threat to Sriharikota Space Centre
New Delhi: There has been no specific threat to the Sriharikota Space Centre in Andhra Pradesh but security of India`s satellite launch centre was constantly being reviewed, parliament was told Thursday.
Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V. Narayanasamy told the Rajya Sabha that security arrangements are being constantly reviewed and beefed up and necessary augmentation is being done whenever there is an alert issued by the home ministry.
"At present juncture of time, there has been no specific security threat against Sriharikota Space Centre," he said.
Narayanasamy said Sriharikota has implemented a multi-layer security system.
"The outer boundary of Sriharikota has a double layer concertina coil followed by the next layer which has power fence and Closed Circuit TV (CCTV) surveillance system. All critical installations are provided with access control system for entry," he said.
"Surveillance and monitoring of vehicles, visitors` management, monitoring and control from single platform are also in place," he further said.
The minister said the safety and security cover for the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) at Sriharikota is provided by armed Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
"A strict authentication process is in place at all entry points on ground to prevent entry of any unauthorised person into the island. On the sea side, CISF provides security coverage through watch tower and outposts on the beach, foot and boat patrolling along the seashore. Additionally, sea side security coverage is also provided by marine police of Andhra Pradesh," he said.
The total funds allocated for safety and security and surveillance of these vital installations in the current year 2012-13 is about Rs. 136.50 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Football Transfer: Barcelona's Dani Alves undergoes Juventus medical
- Sterling hits 31-year low, gilt yield below 1% for first time ever
- Google Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai's Quora account hacked
- Who are potential successors to RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan?
- Messi Vs Ronaldo: Should Cristiano Ronaldo too quit if Portugal fail to win Euro 2016?