No SOP violation in giving protection to Chhattisgarh Congress leaders: Govt

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 - 13:01

New Delhi: There was no violation of Standard Operating Procedure by security forces providing cover to a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh in May last year which came under severe Naxalite attack leaving 27 dead, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh said during Question Hour the attack in Sukma district was very unfortunate and sad.
"Government is committed to effectively tackle the Left Wing Extremism problem. The SOP for security forces during the anti-LWE operations are dynamic in nature and revised regularly, based on changing tactics adopted by extremists," he said.

The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) regularly sensitise their officers and jawans to scrupulously adhere to the guidelines contained in various SOPs.

"Instances of possible violation of SOPs are inquired into the state governments/CAPFs and, accordingly, necessary remedial measures are taken," he said.

Government issues advisories from time to time to state governments concerned and the CAPFs to adhere to SOPs, he said.
D Raja (CPI) raised the issue of arrest of wheelchair- bound Prof G N Saibaba in the middle of the night for allegedly supporting Left Wing Extremism and asked what SOPs are followed in such cases.

Singh replied, "No SOP is required in (carrying out) arrests. No violation of SOP happened here (in case of Saibaba)."

Asked about Jammu and Kashmir government`s demand for withdrawal of AFSPA, he said Central government considers requests made by state governments and takes appropriate decisions.

PTI

First Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 - 13:01

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus