No talks even with PM: Anna Hazare
New Delhi: In tough posturing, Anna Hazare on Tuesday ruled out any talks with the government or even the Prime Minister to end their stir and expressed readiness to return Padma Bhushan award bestowed on him, even as government showed no signs of initiating negotiations with his team.
The statement from Hazare came on a day when his close aides Arvind Kejriwal and Gopal Rai, whose fast entered the seventh day, were advised hospitalisation by doctors but they rejected it saying they were "not cowards who will give up because of health concerns".
During his address to protesters at Jantar Mantar this evening, Hazare said "the government says they will not send any representative to talk to us. We don`t want anyone to come and talk to us. We don`t need ministers to come and talk to us. The agitation will continue till our demands are met.
"I am not even ready to talk to the Prime Minister.... I can return Padma Bhushan right now. The people have given me such a big award," Hazare, who was awarded Padma Shri in 1990 and Padma Bhushan two years later, said.
He said he had earlier returned Padma Shri on the issue of corruption. "These awards were given to me not that I asked these. I am doing it for my country and for my people," he said.
As his fast entered third day, the 74-year-old activist said he has decided that he will sit here again and again "until that flood of good politics comes".
Earlier in the day, Team Anna member Prashant Bhushan targeted government for not initiating a dialogue with Team Anna alleging that they want people like Hazare to die so that they can continue to loot the country.
"Government yesterday said they were not ready to talk to us. This is their attitude. They have utmost disrespect for people. They want people like Anna, Arvind, Manish and others to die so that they can continue their loot," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL