`No threat to UPA, but NCP ready for early polls`
Vadodara: There was no threat to the UPA government at present, union agriculture minister and president of Nationalist Congress Party Sharad Pawar said today; adding that his party was ready if mid-term polls came.
Replying to a question regarding BSP supremo Mayawati`s hint of the possibility of early polls, Pawar said here, "UPA government is stable and it does not have any problem of survival, as several other parties are supporting it."
But, he went on to say, "being a political party we are ready for mid-term polls".
Pawar was in the city today to preside over the fifth national convention of NCP, attended by the party delegates from all over the country.
He also said that though there was no threat, the UPA would have to tread carefully.
Reiterating his stand on allegations made by social activist Arvind Kejriwal against Robert Vadra, Pawar dared Kejriwal to approach the courts. "Of late, it has become a fashion that anyone levels allegations, then keeps mum and later asks the government to probe," he said.
Pawar denied that there was any rift in the union cabinet, especially between himself and the Rural Development Minister Jayram Ramesh, over the land acquisition bill.
"The country needs electricity and industries. But at the same time, farmers should also be adequately compensated and rehabilitated. All these issues have been addressed in the bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon