No threat to UPA from DMK on Lanka issue : Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Monday dismissed suggestions of any threat to the government in the wake of DMK’s threat to quit UPA on the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils.
“There is no threat. The government is stable. It is going to complete its full term,” party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
His response was similar when asked about the controversy over Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma’s attack on SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, which has angered the party supporting the UPA government from outside.
Downplaying the pull-out threat by DMK, Alvi said “If there is any kind of differences with DMK, we are confident, we are very sure to resolve it.”
On the issue of India’s stand on the resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN, he said “Whatever decision is taken in this regard will be taken keeping in mind the interests of Tamil citizens in our mind.”
To repeated questions about the souring of relations between Congress and DMK over the issue, the Congress spokesperson said his party never discusses its relationship with allies before the media or in public but is sure that whatever difference of opinion is there will be sorted out.
His remarks came as Union ministers P Chidambaram, A K Antony and Ghulam Nabi Azad held talks with the DMK chief Karunanidhi in Chennai.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath earlier said that the government will take a decision on the issue of resolution “only after this discussion”.
The DMK chief had threatened that his party will pull out of UPA if it failed to move amendments to the US-sponsored resolution on Sri Lankan Tamil issue at the UNHRC.
Congress sources have been maintaining that the three leaders have been asked to convince Karunanidhi that government will not compromise with the interests of Sri Lankan Tamils at any cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31