No threat to UPA: Sharad Pawar
New Delhi: With Mamata Banerjee set to withdraw support to the government tomorrow, NCP chief Sharad Pawar saw no threat to the stability of the UPA coalition and dismissed demands for a special session of Parliament on the issue of FDI in retail.
The Union Agriculture Minister told a news agency that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had flagged the issues of FDI in retail, hike in diesel prices and a cap on subsidised LPG cylinders at the first meeting of the UPA Coordination Committee also attended by the Trinamool Congress chief.
Pawar`s statement is at variance with Banerjee`s claim that she was kept in the dark by the Centre on the key issues before it took the controversial decisions.
At the same time he said Banerjee, at the UPA Coordination Committee meeting, had told she would meet the Prime Minister later to give her views on the three issues.
Pawar saw allowing FDI in retail as a "win-win" for both the farmers and the consumers and saw no threat to small traders.
"Farmers would get a better price for their produce and consumers would also get farm products at a lower cost," he said, adding that he was "not among those who would oppose for the sake of opposition".
On the diesel price hike, Pawar said the unpleasant decision was taken as oil marketing companies were facing huge under-recoveries and banks had expressed difficulty in supporting them further if such a situation continued.
On talk in the BJP of convening a special session of Parliament, the NCP chief said, "What is the need for a special session? These are administrative decisions and it could be discussed whenever Parliament convenes. Why the hurry?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!