No tolerance to wrongdoing, DGDE to be strengthened: Raju
New Delhi: Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju Thursday said the government will not tolerate any corruption in any department and said his ministry was considering strengthening the defence estates wing, which has
come under scanner over land scam in the recent months.
Contradicting his senior Minister`s assertion that the
Defence Ministry will study the possibility of dismantling of
the defence estates wing, Raju said the government would
strengthen it, as it was "essential" to safeguard the large
land-holdings of the armed forces.
"I think there will be no tolerance for any wrongdoing in
any department, leave alone the Directorate General of Defence
Estates (DGDE)," he told reporters on the sidelines of a
CII-sponsored seminar on Naval Armament here.
He was replying to a query on the scams such as the
Adarsh Housing Society in Mumbai involving the DGDE that has
come out in the recent times and if the government was mulling
disbanding of the DGDE.
"The Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA) has
given some observations on the functioning of the DGDE and has
given some recommendations. DGDE is an essential department,
which is safeguarding 17.3 lakh acres of land of the armed
forces. It needs to be strengthened.
"We will take into cognisance all the recommendations and
try to improve the functioning of the DGDE. It (study on
disbanding DGDE) was wrongly reported in the media today," he
He said the CDGA had not recommended disbanding of the
DGDE, but had only suggested that instead of involving the
DGDE in land acquisitions, the forces and services should
directly do the acquisitions.
To improve the functioning of the DGDE, Raju said, the
Ministry had now initiated the process of computerising the
land records and registration documents.
Antony, in a written reply to members` questions on DGDE,
told the Rajya Sabha yesterday that "keeping in view the
limited utility of the DGDE, the Defence Ministry may like to
order a comprehensive study for disbanding this organisation
from most of the activities from defence land management in a
Antony had said that agencies such as DRDO and the
Ordnance Factory Board may be authorised to deal directly with
state governments for expediting the land acquisition process.
"Elimination of additional layer of DGDE from defence
land acquisition process shall speed up the acquisition
process and is expected to eliminate time and cost over-runs
both for land and infrastructure on this," he had said.
The recommendations were made to the government by the
CGDA after they carried out a special performance audit to
identify the bottlenecks in land acquisition process, which
result in delays.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks