No-trust motion against govt is not the issue, says DMK
New Delhi: After the resignation of all DMK ministers from the government, DMK on Wednesday said pulling down the UPA dispensation by bringing no-trust motion in the House is not the issue, but welfare of Tamils is their focus.
"It is not our issue. We are for welfare of Tamils and taking action against war crimes committed against Tamils in Lanka," DMK MP Tiruchi Shiva said outside Parliament when asked whether the party will bring a no-confidence motion against the government.
After deciding to pull out of the government yesterday, all DMK ministers today resigned from the government expressing dismay over the "dilution" of India`s stand on the Lankan Tamils issue.
Asked why DMK is shying away from brining no-confidence motion, Shiva said, "We are not shying away, but the issue which is at forefront must be addressed first. It is not about the government. We are not doing politics, we are trying to save our people".
Both Houses of Parliament were repeatedly disrupted over the issue of Lankan Tamils.
Making his party stand clear,the DMK MP said, "Yesterday, we got the draft resolution which was totally different from the earlier resolution. There were many deviations and changes which made the resolution diluted. When we expect the Indian government to make the resolution stronger, it has been diluted and the government is silent on Geneva conference".
When asked that many parties, including principal opposition party, feel that DMK`s demand for stronger resolution cannot be accepted and the foreign policy cannot be dictated, the DMK leader said "Foreign policy cannot make the country a silent spectator to the butchering of lakhs of people, genocide of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
"Foreign policy must be devised for the welfare of the people and the interest of the people. Anyone can say anything but our policy will remain the same," he said.
When it was pointed out that Sri Lanka is a sovereign country, he said, "Just because it is a sovereign country, we are requesting for building international pressure.
"Vienna Convention says there is a word `genocide`. So we are not coining a new phrase which is impractical. What is going on in Sri Lanka is genocide and we want that to be incorporated in the resolution," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks