New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
today allayed fears of withdrawal of the cashless mediclaim
facility by public sector general insurance companies, saying
these firms have not done away with these schemes and are only
standardising the rates for various hospitals.
"The public sector general insurance companies have not,
I am emphasising on, have not revised or withdrawn the
facility of cashless treatment," Mukherjee said in the Lok
From July 1, public sector insurance companies had
suspended about 150 hospitals from their list of Preferred
Provider Network healthcare companies which provide cashless
hospitalisation services to policy holders under the mediclaim
scheme. This was interpreted by some as withdrawal of the
cashless mediclaim facility by these insurers.
"The companies have started rationalising empanelment of
hospitals and the standardisation of rates and specified
procedures followed by these hospitals," Mukherjee said.
Last week, insurance regulator IRDA Chairman J
Harinarayan had expressed hope that hospitals and insurers
will be able to arrive at a mutual solution.
The state-run insurers had alleged that the hospitals
were billing patients higher if they came under mediclaim,
whereby the claims were higher than the premium received by
At a meeting of private hospitals and public sector
insurance companies last Friday, both the parties had agreed
to restore the cashless treatment facility under the mediclaim
policy within 10 days.
The hospitals have already restored the cashless facility
for emergency, ICU, cardiac care and trauma cases.