‘No wrong in Raja, Kalmadi being on Parl panels’
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday saw nothing wrong in former Union minister A Raja, the main accused in 2G spectrum scam, and Suresh Kalmadi, accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, being made members of Parliamentary Standing Committees.
"It is the right of a Member of Parliament to be on a Committee, whatever may be charges or allegations. The members are not nominated by their party," party spokesman P C Chacko told reporters.
Chacko, who heads the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha, said every MP is entitled to be on a Committee and he "cannot be denied that privilege".
Asked whether Congress could tell controversial members like Kalmadi not to accept a Parliamentary Committee membership, he said, "I don`t think that the party can do like that. It is a privilege."
He said members tell their choices for Parliamentary Committees and as per that they are made members.
Raja, who represents DMK in the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Energy.
Kalmadi, Congress member of the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on External Affairs.
Parliamentary Standing Committees are considered mini-Parliament as they closely scrutinise bills and give suggestions on the proposed legislations.
Raja, who was arrested in connection with the 2G scam on February 2 last year, is on bail since May 15 this year.
Kalmadi also spent about nine months in jail before being released on bail on January 19 this year.
DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also accused in some cases related to the 2G spectrum allocation, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Home Affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery