‘No wrong in Raja, Kalmadi being on Parl panels’
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday saw nothing wrong in former Union minister A Raja, the main accused in 2G spectrum scam, and Suresh Kalmadi, accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, being made members of Parliamentary Standing Committees.
"It is the right of a Member of Parliament to be on a Committee, whatever may be charges or allegations. The members are not nominated by their party," party spokesman P C Chacko told reporters.
Chacko, who heads the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha, said every MP is entitled to be on a Committee and he "cannot be denied that privilege".
Asked whether Congress could tell controversial members like Kalmadi not to accept a Parliamentary Committee membership, he said, "I don`t think that the party can do like that. It is a privilege."
He said members tell their choices for Parliamentary Committees and as per that they are made members.
Raja, who represents DMK in the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Energy.
Kalmadi, Congress member of the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on External Affairs.
Parliamentary Standing Committees are considered mini-Parliament as they closely scrutinise bills and give suggestions on the proposed legislations.
Raja, who was arrested in connection with the 2G scam on February 2 last year, is on bail since May 15 this year.
Kalmadi also spent about nine months in jail before being released on bail on January 19 this year.
DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also accused in some cases related to the 2G spectrum allocation, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Home Affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing