`No zero entrance through Bangladesh border`
Jalandhar: Even as the controversy over infiltration into India via the Bangladesh border rages on, the director general (DG) of the Border Security Force (BSF) Wednesday said he was not confident that there was "zero entrance" of Bangladeshis into India.
"We have pushed back 15,000 Bangladeshis this year. The border is a complex one and I cannot say with confidence that there is zero entrance from the Bangladesh border," BSF DG U.K. Bansal said here.
Bansal is on a three-day visit to Punjab, which has a 553-km international border with Pakistan.
"We are keeping a strict vigil at the Bangladesh border. It has its own character and problems. It is a human issue and it cannot be completely sealed as people have relatives on both sides," Bansal said.
He said the BSF was being extra vigilant in Jammu and Kashmir after a tunnel was recently discovered along the border in Samba sector.
"No infiltration has taken place through this tunnel," he added.
He said more watch towers would be set up along the India-Pakistan border in Punjab. He said that in view of increased trade through the Attari-Wagah land border route, full body truck scanners were required at the new integrated check post at Attari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says