Nobel laureate Venkatraman thanks alma mater
Vadodara: Nobel laureate Venkatraman
Ramakrishnan has said the "dedicated" professors at the
Maharaja Sayajirao University inspired him during his higher
studies but added that he did not "appreciate them much at that
time" as he should have.
"At that time, I perhaps did not appreciate it as much
as I should have, but the difficult theory Madhuben Shah
taught as part of the optics course is the basis of my work
using X–ray crystallography to determine structures," he said
in his first communication with his alma mater after receiving
the Nobel Prize.
In a letter to head of Physics department, MSU, A C
Sharma the Nobel laureate said, "I am grateful to a number of
people in the Physics department. Dr S K Shah and H S Desai
were instrumental in introducing the Berkeley Physics Course
and the Feynman Lectures to undergraduates. Their dedicated
teaching inspired me and many other students."
Ramakrishnan shared the Nobel prize in Chemistry with
Thomas A Steitz (US) and Ada E Yonath (Israel) for their
"studies of the structure and function of ribosome."
The trio had used X-ray crystallography to map position
for each and every one of the hundreds of thousands of atoms
that make up the ribosome.
Ramakrishnan completed his B.Sc in Physics from MSU in
1971 and moved on to US for further studies. He received the
Nobel prize on December 10 in Stockholm.
The Tamil Nadu born scientist also praised DAE Solid
State Physics Symposium being organised in MSU saying it will
be an effective tool in achieving the objectives of symposium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’