Nobel Peace: Indian women police squad elated
New Delhi: A squad of 125 Indian women police
personnel far away in Liberia is elated as it finds itself
sharing some bright moments after the announcement of Nobel
Peace Prize last week.
The women, drawn from paramilitary CRPF, are deployed as
special police officers under the UN to guard Liberian
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf who has won the coveted prize
along with two other women.
An elite squad of these AK-47 totting women personnel
keep a round-the-clock vigil on the office of the President
which also houses the West African nation`s foreign affairs
department in capital Monrovia.
"It is a proud and a very happy moment for us that the
Nobel Peace Prize has been won by the Liberian President. The
Indian women contingent was chosen to guard her and our camp
and the women are ecstatic," Commander of the Indian Female
Formed Police Unit (FFPU) Poonam Gupta told PTI over phone
from her camp office in Monrovia.
"The girls are extremely elated by this announcement and
they have requested us to make arrangements to call on the
President and greet her," Gupta, who took over from a previous
CRPF contingent in February this year, said.
"The President has visited us a few times and had also
come to our camp early this year. The girls see her regularly
going in and out for work but surely the Nobel Peace Prize has
made them see her in a new light of respect and admiration,"
Recounting their daily drill, Gupta said a small platoon
of about 8-10 armed women personnel from the contingent keep a
constant vigil of Sirleaf`s office, where she spends her
The personnel are armed with weapons like AK-47, INSAS
rifles and Light Machine Guns (LMGs) to thwart any attempt of
sabotage the vital infrastructure and its occupants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble