Nod for amendment; more SC/ST women at Panchayats
New Delhi: Government on Thursday gave its nod to
a minor change to a Constitution Amendment Bill that would
enable enhancing representation of SC/ST women in Panchayats.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, approved addition of a word `rural` before
`population` to a Clause of The Constitution (110th Amendment)
"The official Amendment proposes to add word `rural`
before the word `population` as and where the same occur in
First Proviso of Clause (2) (iii) of the Constitution (110th
Amendment) Bill, 2009," Information and Broadcasting Minister
Ambika Soni told reporters here.
"This Provision will apply to the total number of seats
filled by direct election, offices of Chairpersons and seats
and offices of Chairpersons reserved for Scheduled Castes and
Scheduled Tribes," she said.
The Bill, which was introduced in the Lok Sabha in June
last year, seeks to hike reservation for women in Panchayats
at all tiers from one third to at least 50 per cent.
She said the amendment was suggested by the Parliamentary
Standing Committee on Rural Development in its report
presented to the Lok Sabha on July 28 last year.
"This seems desirable since the proportion of SC and ST
in rural areas of a State usually differ from their proportion
to the population of the State," the Panchayati Raj ministry
had told the Committee.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference