Non issues often get prominence in media: Katju
New Delhi: "Non issues" often get prominence while "real issues" get ignored in the media but persuasion rather than coercion is the method which new chairman of Press Council India and former Supreme Court Justice Markandey Katju would favour.
"Poverty and unemployment are major issues facing the country. And not that the wife of some film actor has got pregnant. But these days, it makes big news," Katju said as he joined his new office here.
"What problem of the nation will it help solve whether a film actor`s wife would give birth to a single child or twins? But this gets displayed prominently on the front page," he said.
"If you consider yourself as those serving the public, then you should address the problems facing the public," said Katju.
On his role as the Chairman of the Press council, Katju said he would prefer persuasion to coercion.
"I was going through papers and it has been suggested by some that there should be provisions like fines and cancellation of licenses but I am not in favour of such
methods," Katju said.
Katju said he had called informal meetings with senior journalists and would prefer an approach of consensus towards highlighting the right issues.
Though the Press Council Act is confined to the print media, Katju said he would hold discussions with the electronic media journalists as well.
Katju said there were good and responsible people in the media and even they would want to work to earn the respect of the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in