Non-state actors performing state functions: NSA
New Delhi: National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon on Saturday said non-state actors are performing state functions in India`s neighbourhood, in an apparent reference to extremist groups operating in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
"60 percent of what I look at is not state dealing state. We see immediately in our neighbourhood," he said chairing a session at the first National Conference on
"So called non-state actors, they perform state functions. They act for the State," Menon said, without naming any country.
The US has accused Pakistan`s military-run Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) of extending support to its "veritable arm", the Haqqani network to carry out attacks on American and
NATO centres in Afghanistan.
Pakistan has denied its involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks and has blamed it on non-state actors. Speaking on the changing power situation in the world, Menon said besides technology non-traditional factors such as food and energy security were the catalyst for change.
Menon said power was moving from larger states into the hands of small groups of people.
"There are structural shifts in nature of power....The nature of international relations is changing," he said.
He said India needs to anchor this shift in balance of power towards itself.
Menon also stressed on the need to develop an Indian way of looking at international relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi