Non-UPA CMs attack centre at NDC meet
New Delhi: Chief Ministers of non-UPA ruled states on Thursday attacked the Centre, alleging that its policies had slowed down the country`s growth and that their voice was being ignored, with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa walking out of the NDC meet to highlight this.
Jayalalithaa, along with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi and Chief Ministers of other BJP-ruled states used the forum of National Development Council (NDC) to criticise the Centre over allocation of funds and resources.
Jayalalithaa faulted the centre over several issues, like economic policies and FDI in multi-brand retail, and accused it of ignoring suggestions put forth by states by adopting "big brotherly and undemocratic approach".
She said the Manmohan Singh government was "caught up in the daily squabbles of its constituents" and "is merely trying to survive from day-to-day" as a result of which it has "neither the time nor the inclination to pay attention" to the problems of the people of this country.
She walked out of the NDC meeting accusing the Centre of "stifling" the voice of Chief Ministers by restricting their speeches to 10 minutes, terming it as a "big humiliation".
Yadav termed the decline in central assistance to states as a cause of "serious concern" and asked the Centre to discourage the practice of not taking state governments on board while finalising sectoral distributions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’