Normal life affected as cold snap stretches in North India
New Delhi: Frigid conditions showed no signs of abating as mercury hovered several notches below normal in north India and thick fog enveloped the region throwing normal life out of gear.
Delhiites witnessed a thick fog blanket in the wee hours of the morning that led to several cancelled or delayed flights and trains to and fro in the city.
Srinagar residents of Kashmir Valley were digging out from 2.3 mm of snow that fell overnight with temperature plummeting further two notches to minus 2.3 degree Celsius.
Foggy conditions disrupted normal life in Rajasthan affecting rail and road traffic where vehicles were moving at a snail`s pace and some trains running behind the schedule.
Intense cold wave sweeping across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh continued unabated in most parts with mercury dropping to record-breaking minus 2.1 degree Celsius at Hisar.
Flight and train operations were adversely affected due to lack of visibility with 37 trains, mostly Delhi-bound, running late by several hours and delay or diversion of around 150 domestic and international flights causing inconvenience to passengers.
In a fog-related incident, at least 10 vehicles rammed into each other on Delhi-Jaipur national highway at Chandwaji, 100 kms from Jaipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark