North East exodus: Govt bans bulk SMS and MMS
New Delhi: Even as exodus of people from the North East from cities of Bangalore and Hyderabad continued for the third day on Friday, Union Home Secretary RK Singh announced a ban on bulk SMSes and MMSes.
The SMSes and MMSes have been banned for fifteen days starting today.
With exodus of Northeast origin people from Bangalore continuing, the Centre today vowed to take strong action against those responsible for spreading rumours leading to the situation.
"We will detect those who are spreading rumours. Those responsible for the exodus from Bangalore will not go scot free," Union Home Secretary RK Singh told reporters here.
Singh said the situation in Bangalore arising out of mass exodus of Northeast origin people was fully under control after deployment of security forces and a joint meeting of people of Northeast and minorities by local authorities.
"Police commissioner and the Chief Minister said that Northeastern people are safe in Bangalore. Minority people have told that they are safe and after meeting, people have stopped leaving the city," he said.
Referring to the prevailing situation in Assam, the Home Secretary said there were two isolated incidents yesterday but it was not clear if one can describe them as fresh violence.
"Two minor incidents have taken place. These were isolated incidents. The situation is fully under control in Assam and you cannot call them fresh violence. We need to investigate these matters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka