North East exodus: Govt bans bulk SMS and MMS
New Delhi: Even as exodus of people from the North East from cities of Bangalore and Hyderabad continued for the third day on Friday, Union Home Secretary RK Singh announced a ban on bulk SMSes and MMSes.
The SMSes and MMSes have been banned for fifteen days starting today.
With exodus of Northeast origin people from Bangalore continuing, the Centre today vowed to take strong action against those responsible for spreading rumours leading to the situation.
"We will detect those who are spreading rumours. Those responsible for the exodus from Bangalore will not go scot free," Union Home Secretary RK Singh told reporters here.
Singh said the situation in Bangalore arising out of mass exodus of Northeast origin people was fully under control after deployment of security forces and a joint meeting of people of Northeast and minorities by local authorities.
"Police commissioner and the Chief Minister said that Northeastern people are safe in Bangalore. Minority people have told that they are safe and after meeting, people have stopped leaving the city," he said.
Referring to the prevailing situation in Assam, the Home Secretary said there were two isolated incidents yesterday but it was not clear if one can describe them as fresh violence.
"Two minor incidents have taken place. These were isolated incidents. The situation is fully under control in Assam and you cannot call them fresh violence. We need to investigate these matters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks
- Biopic should be made on PT Usha, says Sonam Kapoor