North faces another frosty day; 6 more deaths, toll reaches 68
New Delhi: It was another frosty day in North
India on Saturday which continued to battle bitter cold waves with
the chill claiming six more lives in UP, taking the toll to 68
this season in the state.
While three persons died in UP`s Shahjahanpur district,
two deaths were reported from Bareilly and one from Basti.
Sultanpur at 1.4 degree Celsius was the coldest in the
state. Lucknow recorded a minimum of 3.8 deg C, while it was
4.1 deg C in Varanasi.
A thick layer of fog engulfed the national capital even
as the low temperature coupled with icy winds continued
unabated leaving Delhiites shivering and disrupting flight
Dense fog hit flight operations at IGI airport as
schedule of over 40 domestic and international flights were
affected, causing inconvenience to the air travellers.
Domestic flights which were scheduled to operate in the
morning were delayed by up to four hours due to inclement
The dense fog also disrupted road and rail services.
However, children have been spared the cold with the
Delhi government extending the holidays in city schools till
January 13 from January 10.
The city recorded a low of 4.3 deg C.
Piercing cold waves swept Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh
with fog in the region throwing normal life out of gear.
Freezing cold gripped Narnaul in Haryana, which at 1.5
deg C was the coldest place in the two states.
Icy cold winds swept Hisar, which recorded a low of 2.4
deg C, while Bhiwani recorded 4.2 deg C.
Ambala registered 4.5 deg C, while Gurgaon braved the
chill at 6.5 deg C.
The minimum temperature at Chandigarh, which had a hazy
sky, settled at 6.4 deg C.
In Punjab, Ludhiana and Patiala recorded low of 4.2 deg C
and 3 deg C respectively, while it was minimum 4.4 deg C in
Thick fog in the region affected vehicular movement and
delayed many trains.
The intense cold wave gripping Kashmir Valley subsided to
some extent, however, there was no respite from chill in
Ladakh where the mercury dropped by a couple of degrees with
Leh recording the lowest of -13.6 deg C.
The mercury slipped by 0.4 deg C in Kargil to settle at
-10.4 deg C.
Srinagar witnessed an increase of nearly two degrees
compared to yesterday with the minimum temperature settling at
-0.4 deg C.
Gulmarg skiing resort at a low of -6 deg C was the
coldest in the Valley.
Mercury jumped by at least 3.2 deg C in Pahalgam resort
which recorded -1.8 deg C. Kokernag in Anantnag district
recorded -2.7 deg C, an increase of 2.2 degrees.
The skyline across Kashmir was covered by dense clouds,
raising the prospects of a fresh snowfall in the Valley.
Chill continued in Rajasthan as cold waves swept the
state with mercury in Bikaner dipping below freezing point and
recording the lowest temperature at -2 deg C.
The tourist town of Mount Abu recorded -1 deg C, while
Pilani recorded a low of 0.4 deg C.
Elsewhere, Jaisalmer recorded a minimum of 1.2 deg C,
Dholpur (1.8), Churu (2.5) and Sriganganagar 3.7 deg C.
Severe cold continued in Himachal Pradesh with moderate
snowfall in the higher reaches of Kinnaur, Pangi, Lahaul and
Spiti and strong velocity icy winds lashing higher hills.
The sky remained overcast throughout the day.
Solan was the coldest in the lower hills with a minimum
temperature of -1.0 deg C. The state capital Shimla reeled
under 3.1 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'