North India shivers on Christmas
New Delhi: Bone-chilling cold intensified
across north India on Sunday providing no respite to people soaked
in the yuletide spirit even as the extreme weather claimed
three more lives, taking the country-wide death toll this
winter to 131.
The fresh deaths were reported overnight from Uttar
Pradesh, which has so far accounted for 91 fatalities.
Delhiites shivered on the morning of Christmas as mercury
plunged to the coldest of the season at 2.9 deg C, five
notches below normal, the MeT office said. The city recorded a
maximum of 20.3 degrees.
Hisar in Haryana and Amritsar in Punjab recorded minimum
temperatures of 0 deg C and 0.6 deg C respectively, both
readings being a few notches below normal.
Narnaul recorded a low of 0.5 deg C, down by five degrees,
while the minimum at Ambala settled at 3 deg C, down by four
notches, the local weather office said.
In Kashmir Valley, Srinagar recorded a minimum temperature
of minus 4.8 degrees, which was the coldest night in the city
so far this season.
The tourist resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 9.8
deg C, while in the remote Leh district of Ladakh region, the
minimum temperature dropped by a degree to settle at minus
16.2 deg C, the MeT Dept said.
In the desert state of Rajasthan, Churu continued to
remain the coldest place registering a minimum of minus 1.4
deg C, followed by Pilani at 0.3 degrees.
Sriganganagar recorded a low of 0.6 degrees Celsius while
Phalodi, Bikaner, Sikar and Jaisalmer had a low of 4, 4.2, 4.8
and 5.4 degrees respectively.
Other places in the state also recorded minimum
temperatures in the range of 6.1 deg C to 13.2 deg C,
according to MeT Dept here.
Meanwhile, most parts of Himachal Pradesh continued to
shiver under severe cold wave conditions but a `White`
Christmas eluded state capital Shimla, disappointing locals
and thousands of tourists who have thronged the town to enjoy
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!