North India sizzles
New Delhi: North India sizzled under severe heat wave conditions with temperatures scaling the 40 degrees celsius mark at many places.
The capital Delhi recorded a high of 43.5 degrees celsius, four notches above normal and a minimum of 31.5 degrees celsius.
In Rajasthan, SriGanganagar was recorded as the hottest place recording a maximum of 45.8 degrees celsius.
Churu, Bikaner, Kota and Barmer recorded day temperatures of 44.2, 42.6, 41.4 and 41.2 degrees respectively while other places recorded maximum temperatures between 38 degrees celsius to 40.3 degrees celsius.
Heat wave conditions prevailed in many parts of Uttar Pradesh also. According to the Met office, the day temperatures increased appreciably in Kanpur and Jhansi divisions.
Temperatures were largely above normal in Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Faizabad and Allahabad divisions, markedly above normal in Kanpur, Lucknow, Bareilly and Moradabad divisions.
Himachal Pradesh was also under the grip of a heat wave with day temperatures shooting up to stay three to six degrees above normal in many places.
Paonta Sahib on the banks of river Yamuna sizzled at 44 degrees Celsius, six degrees above normal, while Una in the Shivalik foothills recorded 43 degrees Celsius, five notches above normal.
The state capital Shimla recorded a high of 30.2 degrees Celsius, 6.2 degrees above normal, while the minimum temperature stayed at 19.9 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla