North India to benefit from Uri power project: Piyush Goyal
Uri: With the 240 MW Uri-II power plant becoming operational today, Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal today said the electricity generated here would benefit north Indian states, including Jammu and Kashmir, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi.
As Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the project, Goyal tweeted that he was "personally very excited about the project and the positive multiplier effects it will trigger".
"It will also provide much-needed power to Northern grid, giving relief to the common man in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Uttarakhand and Chandigarh," Goyal tweeted.
Congratulating state-run NHPC`s team, Goyal said "the power generated will benefit Jammu and Kashmir immensely and give an impetus to the local economy and create employment for locals".
Reminiscing his childhood experience of visiting a dam, he tweeted: "My last visit to a dam was in 1979, after my Class X exams, on a trip to Bhakra Nangal Dam with my father, Shri (sic) Vedprakash Goyal."
A memorandum of understanding between the Centre and J&K was signed on July 20, 2000 during the Vajpayee-led NDA regime.
The power project was to be completed in June last year, but the inauguration had to be postponed after NHPC found a lot of slit near head as well as at the rear tunnel during the mandatory pre-testing.
Uri-II will help NHPC to increase its power generation capacity to 1,920 MW from five projects in the state. The other four projects are 690-MW Salal, 480-MW Uri-I, 390-MW Dulhasti and 120-MW Sewa-II.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack