North sizzles under unrelenting heat
New Delhi: The plains of north India continued to sweat under sizzling hot conditions with the mercury refusing to come down and no signs of any immediate change in the weather.
The maximum in Delhi was 42.8 degrees Celsius, a shade lower than 43 degrees recorded yesterday, while the minimum dipped 1.2 degrees from 29 degrees to settle at 27.8 degrees.
Humidity in the air was between 17 and 53 per cent in the national capital with the MeT department saying that the conditions would remain unchanged tomorrow.
Temperatures were set beyond the 40 degree mark across Rajasthan where the mercury touched 45.5 degrees in Churu, the hottest place in the state followed by Sriganganagar at 44.5 degrees.
Bikaner (44 degrees) and Pilani (43.5) were some of the other high temperatures in Rajasthan with Kota, Barmer, Chittorgarh and Jaisalmer, too, reporting maximums above 40 degrees.
The weather was mainly dry over Uttar Pradesh in the last 24 hours with day temperatures rising in the Varanasi and Gorakhpur divisions, the MeT office said.
The highest temperature recorded in the state was at Etawah, which sizzled at 46 degrees Celsius.
The mercury stayed above normal in the states of Punjab and Haryana as the two neighbouring states struggled to cope under the summer heat.
Union territory and common capital of Chandigarh recorded a maximum of 41.7 degrees, three notches above normal, according to the weather office.
Ludhiana and Patiala in Punjab recorded maximums of 42.3 and 43.3 degrees, respectively, while Amritsar sizzled at 43 degrees.
Narnaul, in Haryana, was the hottest place across the two states with a high of 44.2 degrees while Hisar was close behind at 44 degrees.
The MeT office has said there was no scope for any relief in the region from heat wave conditions in the coming two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org