Northeast CMs seek Centre`s help in tackling communal strife
New Delhi: Chief Ministers of Northeastern states Monday voiced concern over social media playing key role in inciting tension in society and sought Centre`s help in tackling communal violence.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said to promote communal harmony and brotherhood, social, economic and political justice have to be delivered and everyone, irrespective of community, caste, creed and languages, have to be together.
"The development of electronic media and information and networking technology has turned out to be a double edged sword.
"Mischievous elements and vested interests can spread rumours and hate speeches within a very short span of time through social media networking sites and mobiles to spread misinformation, hatred and anxieties among the people," he said.
Gogoi said there was a need to curb the vested interest of trouble mongers by more effectively regulating the use of social networking technology, radio, TV and other such means of communication.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said in times of communal strife, the advent of new mode of communication like Internet have complicated the problems as the divisive forces have been able to use the network for spreading ill-will and hatred through social networking sites.
"However, taking a holistic view, a huge awareness campaign for enlightening the people would, to a large extent, check this problem," he said.
The Tripura Chief Minister said the prevalence of communal disharmony, ethnic violence and Left-Wing extremism should not be seen merely as law and order problem alone.
"The widening gap between the rich and the poor and denial of basic amenities like food, shelter, education and employment opportunities are likely to cause social tensions and increases the sense of deprivation and alienation among these sections of people," he said.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said there are serious risks and threats involved in social networking sites being misused by unscrupulous elements if this domain is left completely unregulated.
"There have been instances when this medium was used by mischievous groups and elements to spread rumours, hatred, defamatory content, fear, emotional abuse and cause social and communal tensions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe