Northern India soaked by showers; SW monsoon arrives in Rajasthan
New Delhi: Northern India was cloudy and drenched by showers in many places on Thursday as southwest monsoons arrived in Rajasthan five days before it was due, bringing about a sharp decline in temperatures.
Heavy rainfall and inclement weather was reported in several parts of the region where a farmer was killed in Himachal Pradesh by a lightning bolt in Mandi district on Thursday morning.
In Delhi, scattered showers and overcast conditions meant it was a pleasant day for residents with the maximum temperature dropping seven notches from yesterday to settle at 32.8 degrees.
The minimum in the national capital was a notch above normal at 28.8 degrees on what was a highly humid day with moisture content in air ranging between 62 and 72 per cent.
The weatherman has predicted a decent spell of rain over the next couple of days which is expected to keep the mercury below normal levels.
The India Meteorological Department had said yesterday that monsoon was expected to hit Delhi at least a week ahead of its normal onset on June 29.
Weather officials in Rajasthan, meanwhile, announced today that the southwest monsoon had entered the state days before its expected arrival date of June 18.
The monsoon entered through southeast Rajasthan and activated in Udaipur region, MeT officials said, adding that conditions are favourable for its further advance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say