Norway child row: Andhra human rights body seeks help
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh State Human Rights Commission (APSHRC) on Wednesday directed the state government to file a report before it by February 4 on a petition seeking its assistance for the release of the couple convicted in Norway.
In her petition, practicing advocate A Ramya Kumari said that the Norwegian authorities should consider the future of the couple`s kids and requested the commission to take measures to bring back the couple home.
"Taking children away or examining them on frivolous grounds would have psychological impact on the children," the petitioner said.
The commission accepted the petition and issued directions to the chief secretary to file a comprehensive report in the matter by February 4.
Chandrasekhar Vallabhaneni and his wife Anupama from Andhra Pradesh were arrested by Norway police last month and convicted yesterday for gross, repeated maltreatment of their children by threats, violence and other wrong.
The Norwegian court found that the couple deliberately burnt their son`s leg with a hot spoon or similar object with the result that the child had burn marks measuring approximately 3 x 5 cm.
The court also found that it had been proven that the parents had on several occasions hit the child with possibly a belt or similar object and that they had on one occasion threatened to burn their son on his tongue with a hot spoon. The proven abuse took place over a period of six to seven months.
The couple, sentenced to jail terms for 18 months and 15 months respectively, have a couple of days to appeal against the verdict at Borgarting Court of Appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Water tanker scam: ACB trying to arrest me, says Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra
- Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected — What NIA court said
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!