Norway child row: Andhra human rights body seeks help
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh State Human Rights Commission (APSHRC) on Wednesday directed the state government to file a report before it by February 4 on a petition seeking its assistance for the release of the couple convicted in Norway.
In her petition, practicing advocate A Ramya Kumari said that the Norwegian authorities should consider the future of the couple`s kids and requested the commission to take measures to bring back the couple home.
"Taking children away or examining them on frivolous grounds would have psychological impact on the children," the petitioner said.
The commission accepted the petition and issued directions to the chief secretary to file a comprehensive report in the matter by February 4.
Chandrasekhar Vallabhaneni and his wife Anupama from Andhra Pradesh were arrested by Norway police last month and convicted yesterday for gross, repeated maltreatment of their children by threats, violence and other wrong.
The Norwegian court found that the couple deliberately burnt their son`s leg with a hot spoon or similar object with the result that the child had burn marks measuring approximately 3 x 5 cm.
The court also found that it had been proven that the parents had on several occasions hit the child with possibly a belt or similar object and that they had on one occasion threatened to burn their son on his tongue with a hot spoon. The proven abuse took place over a period of six to seven months.
The couple, sentenced to jail terms for 18 months and 15 months respectively, have a couple of days to appeal against the verdict at Borgarting Court of Appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM