Norway child row: Family to appeal in higher court against conviction
Hyderabad: Family members of the Indian couple, convicted by a Oslo court on child abuse charges, on Tuesday expressed their disappointment over the verdict saying it violates child rights and sought intervention of the government.
The family members of Chandrasekhar Vallabhaneni, a software professional from Andhra Pradesh, who along with his wife Anupama were given jail terms said they will appeal in a higher court against the judgement.
"We are thoroughly disappointed with the court judgement. The Indian government has not responded on time. The judgement itself violates child rights as the two kids of my uncle will not have parental guidance as long as they are in prison," Chandrasekhar`s nephew Sailendra told reporters here.
"We will now appeal in the higher court. We also request the Indian government to intervene," he added.
The couple were arrested by Norway police last month and the court convicted them for gross or repeated maltreatment of their child/children by threats, violence or other wrong.
The prosecution proposed a sentence of 18 months for the father and 15 months for the mother in the case which was upheld by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?