Not against multi-member CAG, but want adequate powers: Vinod Rai
New Delhi: CAG Vinod Rai, whose audit reports had exposed the scams in 2G spectrum allocation and other issues, on Friday appeared to suggest that the official auditor should have the powers of punishment.
He said that he was not averse to the CAG being made a multi-member body but it should have "attendant powers and responsibilities".
"There is nothing wrong in their suggestion. There are different models all around. There are multi-member bodies. In France, they sit as a court, believe me their powers are fantastic. They can punish defaulters.”
"There are commission models and again with absolutely far reaching powers. So in terms of power it is poor CAG of India who actually has no powers. He just prepares audit reports and submits to Parliament," Rai, who is to demit office in a few months, said speaking at a conclave.
He was replying to a question on the suggestion of former CAG VK Shunglu to transform CAG into a multi-member body to make it more effective. He, however, did not elaborate on what powers the CAG should have.
Rai said that the suggestion of multi-member CAG was made by the Justice Venkatachaliah committee that went into the issue of re-writing the Constitution.
"At that time, the comments from the institution of CAG was that it should not be made a multi-level body. But we, about 3 years back or two years back, had said, yes make it a multi-member body but then with attendant powers and responsibilities".
Defending his proactive approach, Rai emphasised that the job of the public auditor was also to ensure that executive and the government are held financially accountable to legislature.
The CAG had come under attack from various spokesmen of the government and the Congress party on its report on 2G spectrum and coal block allocations.
Referring to the changing role of CAG, Rai said: "Our job is not merely to audit the expenditure of government or government institutions. Our mandate today is far more than what it was 65 years ago. The entire job of public auditor today is to ensure that the executive, the government is held financially accountable to legislature. Ultimate power rests with people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks