Not attempting to get ministership for daughter: Pawar
New Delhi: Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Sunday said his request to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to reduce the number of his existing portfolios was not
intended either to elevate his NCP colleague Praful Patel to Cabinet rank or to seek a ministerial berth for daughter Supriya Sule.
"No, No. She (Supriya) is not interested to join government at all at this end. And, secondly, I am not going to insist that Ministry should be given to my party," Pawar
told a TV news channel when asked whether he was hoping that the ministry he gives up, will be given to his daughter.
On whether there was an attempt to find a ministership for Supriya Sule or a promotion for Praful Patel, he said, "No, No. We know what is the practice in UPA. It depends on
your total number in Parliament for how many portfolios you are eligible. And my party got according to our numbers."
In fact, his party does not have "any right" to ask for additional ministership, Pawar categorically said.
"It is prime minister`s prerogative," he said when asked whether the ministership could go to anyone to any party.
Pawar said he asked the Prime Minister to reduce the number of his portfolios because of "too much work load" he had.
"It is too much work load and in last five years, I have managed and not only managed but have substantially improved...I am also party chief. I want to travel little more
in India, in the interior part of the country. That will be helpful for Agriculture (ministry), also for me to keep my rapport with the mass," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh