Not competing with China in Africa-ties: India
New Delhi: Noting that there was a scope
of increasing its security cooperation with African nations to
counter threats of terrorism and piracy, India today said it
was not competing with China or any other country in
establishing such ties.
"We are not in competition with any country. We are
not guided by any country when we formulate our policies. We
have an old, constructive relationship with Africa," Secretary
(West) in the External Affairs Ministry Vivek Katju said.
Katju, who was addressing a seminar on India-Africa
relations, was replying to a query on what steps India was
taking to counter the Chinese efforts to establish close ties
with African countries.
Asked if India was planning to hold any military
exercises with African countries, he said India was already
providing training to the militaries of Africa and our teams
have also been deployed in some of these countries.
He said that India was already working with the
eastern African countries to tackle the threat of piracy and
there was scope of further increasing cooperation in this
regard as it was impacting both the sides.
The official said India and countries of Africa were
also interacting on the ways to deal with the terrorism issue.
Commenting on the investments to be made by the Indian
government and private sector companies in Africa, he said
that it would be difficult to quantify it.
Katju said companies investing in the agriculture
sector have been asked to exercise caution due to the
"sensitive land issues".
He also listed the various programmes for capability
creation and human resources development projects being
carried out by India in Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly