Not correct for me to comment on Sahai: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Monday sidestepped questions on the demands for removal of Union Minister Subodh Kant Sahai, who is embroiled in a controversy over allocation of a coal block in Jharkhand.
"It is unfair on your part to expect me to comment on a colleague. Sahai has responded...It is for the Prime Minister to weigh facts..It is not correct for me to comment on a colleague," Chidambaram said.
He was replying to questions on whether he sees a conflict of interest in Sahai writing a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, seeking allocation of coal blocks to a company having connection with his brother, and why the tourism minister should not step down.
BJP had produced a letter written by Sahai to the Prime Minister seeking his "personal intervention" for allocation of two coal blocks to SKS Ispat and Power Limited, which has his younger brother Sudhir Kumar Sahai as an "honourary executive director".
Though Sahai had accepted that the letter was written by him, he ruled out resigning from the government.
Chidambaram also declined to comment on AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh`s remarks suggesting political ambition of CAG Vinod Rai behind the controversial report of the national audit body.
Asked whether Congress sees politics behind the issue, he said the "non-functioning of Parliament is a political problem".
Chidambaram said President Pranab Mukherjee, when he was finance minister, had aptly remarked that the business of CAG was to find faults and to tell what went wrong.
However, there was nothing wrong on a debate on the CAG report, he said.
"Why there should not be a debate on the CAG report? ...Judgements of Supreme Court are also criticised," the Finance Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day