Not every BJP leader accepts Gurumurthy`s clean chit to Gadkari: Jethmalani
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani on Friday claimed sources in BJP have told him that not every party leader has accepted Gurumurthy`s clean chit to Nitin Gadkari in connection with his companies` dealings and he is unlikely to be given a second term as President.
"I don`t know how many leaders have accepted Gurumurthy`s advice", he told a TV channel.
On Gadkari getting a second term after RSS support, Jethmalani said "I don`t believe that such a state is contemplated...I don`t believe that there is any RSS pressure. I`m not sure that RSS has given the same advice what Gurumurthy has given."
Asked what made him think so, he said "I have my own contacts with RSS. I have many reasons to say this" but added he is not in a position to disclose anything more on this.
Jethmalani also stood by his comment on Ram, the protagonist of epic Ramayan, that he was a "bad husband" and refused to apologise for the same or withdraw it.
"It was not a mistake...I don`t owe any apology...There is no reason why I should apologise. If people have lost their sense of humour, I can`t help it," he said.
He went on to say that "I have serious doubts about whether he (Ram) is in that sense a historical figure."
Asked if his comment about Ram was an attempt to
embarrass BJP, Jethmalani said "I have no motivation to embarrass BJP. I want to strengthen the party."
He also said he won`t apologise for the comment. "I have no obligation of any kind of apology to anyone. The Press has lost its sense of humour...It is very silly," he said.
Claiming that the controversy over the Gadkari issue has not affected his ties with BJP, the eminent lawyer said he will not resign from the party even if BJP gives Gadkari a second term as party president, claiming it was not "opportunism".
Jethmalani stuck to his demand that Gadkari step down as President of BJP till his name is cleared.
He says he does not believe chartered accountant Gurumurthy`s investigations have cleared Gadkari`s name and said he is yet to receive the documents as promised by him.
"Gadkari matter is now between BJP and the party president...I have no further part to play...The issue hasn`t affected my relationship with BJP," Jethmalani said.
Asked whether the silence of the three other BJP leaders Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha and Shatrughan Sinha, whose support he claimed to have in seeking Gadkari`s resignation, he said "they have not expressly differed from me. But they have remained a bit silent and that silence makes me a little suspicious."
He, however, claimed Yashwant Sinha had met him yesterday but had asked him to keep the meeting confidential so he cannot say anything about that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof