Chennai: Amid contradictory claims by
former CJI KG Balakrishnan and Justice HL Gokhale, retired
Madras High Court judge Justice R Reghupathi on Sunday said he was
"not interested in any blame-game" on the controversy over
former telecom minister A Raja`s alleged attempt to influence him
in a criminal case.
As the controversy refused to die down, Justice
Regupathi also said it was not proper for him to pursue the
"I am not interested in a blame-game. It is unfortunate
that a section of media reported some allegations against
judges and that I was scared and confused... I feel damage has
been caused to me (by the report), a person who was always
transparent," he said here.
The issue of Raja`s alleged attempt to influence
Justice Regupathi came into focus again last week when Justice
Gokhale, then Madras High Court Chief Justice and now a
Supreme Court judge, issued a statement contradicting former
Chief Justice of India Balakrishnan`s remarks that he had not
named Raja in his report to him.
Balakrishnan`s comments had come after the Madras High
Court recently suspended Tamil Nadu Bar Council chairman RK
Chandramohan, who had last year allegedly approached Regupathi
taking the name of Raja for securing bail to an accused in a
criminal case probed by the CBI.
The court had enclosed the letter written by Justice
Regupathi to Justice Gokhale in which he is purported to have
Justice Balakrishnan had been insisting that Raja`s
name was not mentioned in the report by Justice Gokhale, who,
however contradicted it.
Asked whether Raja had tried to influence him in the
case relating to a father-son duo in a marksheet scam,
Regupathi, now practising in the Supreme Court, said today he
did not wish to discuss the matter.
"Regarding the issue concerned, I am not willing to
discuss the merits and demerits. It is not proper on my part
to pursue this matter further from my end. It is upto the
citizens and jurists to pursue it further or leave it as
such," he said.
"I have great respect and regard for higher judiciary.
All along I was strictly following judicial code of conduct
and maintaining my silence," he said.
On the claim of Balakrishnan that he was not aware
that Raja was the minister who had tried to influence him,
Regupathi said he did not want to be drawn into a blame-game.
In his letter a portion of which was appended by the
High Court, Regupathi had reportedly stated that Chandramohan
had entered his chamber last year and pleaded that the case of
the father-son duo for anticipatory bail be considered
favourably as they were "family friends of a Union minister by
Reghupathi, in his July 7, 2009 letter to Justice
Gokhale, had said he had discouraged such conduct of
Chandramohan and the case would be disposed of in accordance
with law if it was listed before him.