Not only me but thousands booked under Sedition law: Binayak Sen
Ahmedabad: Activist Binayak Sen, who is out on bail in a sedition case, on Friday indicated that the draconian law is being misused and thousands of people have already become victims of the legislation.
"I am not the only one who has been charged under this law. Today, in every state of the country thousands of people have been charged under the Sedition law and many are facing jail term," Sen said in his convocation address at the Gujarat Vidyapeeth, which was established by Mahatma Gandhi here.
"Three thousand people silently protesting against Kudankulam nuclear plant have been booked under the Sedition law," he added.
"Chattisgarh court sentenced me to life imprisonment on Sedition charges. I am standing before you today as the Supreme Court has given me bail," Sen pointed out.
"I only did what an human rights activist has to do. I helped in bringing out the reality of Salva Judum. The Supreme Court later ordered disbanding the force," Sen said, adding, that he was innocent.
Salva Judum was a movement mobilised in Chattisgarh to fight Naxal menace.
"These actions raise a question like, why people in thousands are victims of government policies?” Sen asked.
"The country is going through a crisis period right now. Every person must have the courage to ask the basic question. We cannot remain neutral in these circumstances we have to raise our voice for the marginalised," Sen said.
Later, when asked about how to deal with the Naxal problem, he said, "I don`t have any formula to solve the Naxal problem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ