Not only me but thousands booked under Sedition law: Binayak Sen
Ahmedabad: Activist Binayak Sen, who is out on bail in a sedition case, on Friday indicated that the draconian law is being misused and thousands of people have already become victims of the legislation.
"I am not the only one who has been charged under this law. Today, in every state of the country thousands of people have been charged under the Sedition law and many are facing jail term," Sen said in his convocation address at the Gujarat Vidyapeeth, which was established by Mahatma Gandhi here.
"Three thousand people silently protesting against Kudankulam nuclear plant have been booked under the Sedition law," he added.
"Chattisgarh court sentenced me to life imprisonment on Sedition charges. I am standing before you today as the Supreme Court has given me bail," Sen pointed out.
"I only did what an human rights activist has to do. I helped in bringing out the reality of Salva Judum. The Supreme Court later ordered disbanding the force," Sen said, adding, that he was innocent.
Salva Judum was a movement mobilised in Chattisgarh to fight Naxal menace.
"These actions raise a question like, why people in thousands are victims of government policies?” Sen asked.
"The country is going through a crisis period right now. Every person must have the courage to ask the basic question. We cannot remain neutral in these circumstances we have to raise our voice for the marginalised," Sen said.
Later, when asked about how to deal with the Naxal problem, he said, "I don`t have any formula to solve the Naxal problem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users