Not only me but thousands booked under Sedition law: Binayak Sen
Ahmedabad: Activist Binayak Sen, who is out on bail in a sedition case, on Friday indicated that the draconian law is being misused and thousands of people have already become victims of the legislation.
"I am not the only one who has been charged under this law. Today, in every state of the country thousands of people have been charged under the Sedition law and many are facing jail term," Sen said in his convocation address at the Gujarat Vidyapeeth, which was established by Mahatma Gandhi here.
"Three thousand people silently protesting against Kudankulam nuclear plant have been booked under the Sedition law," he added.
"Chattisgarh court sentenced me to life imprisonment on Sedition charges. I am standing before you today as the Supreme Court has given me bail," Sen pointed out.
"I only did what an human rights activist has to do. I helped in bringing out the reality of Salva Judum. The Supreme Court later ordered disbanding the force," Sen said, adding, that he was innocent.
Salva Judum was a movement mobilised in Chattisgarh to fight Naxal menace.
"These actions raise a question like, why people in thousands are victims of government policies?” Sen asked.
"The country is going through a crisis period right now. Every person must have the courage to ask the basic question. We cannot remain neutral in these circumstances we have to raise our voice for the marginalised," Sen said.
Later, when asked about how to deal with the Naxal problem, he said, "I don`t have any formula to solve the Naxal problem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss