Not ‘replacing’ Modi at Wharton as guest: Kejriwal
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday rubbished media reports which said that he has replaced Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as one of the keynote speakers at the 17th Wharton India Economic Forum 2013 to be held on March 23.
Kejriwal said he did not believe he was ``replacing anyone`` as he had been approached by the organisers to speak at the event much before the Modi controversy.
"It is being reported in some sections of media that I have replaced Mr Narendra Modi for this Wharton lecture. I think this is incorrect because they have been in touch with me for more than 15 to 20 days. And, I understand from the newspapers reports that Modi`s cancellation took place one or two days back," he added.
"They have told me that they have invited many people and I am one of them. So, Mr Modi`s cancellation has nothing to do with my invitation," he added.
Modi, who secured an electoral hat-trick in Gujarat in December last year, had been selected by students to address the Wharton India Economic Forum via videoconference.
On Monday, an official statement from the Wharton India Economic Forum stated that Modi had been dropped from the list of keynote speakers.
"Our team felt that the potential polarizing reactions from sub-segments of the alumni base student body, and our supporters might put Mr Modi in a compromising position which we" the forum said in a statement.
The Gujarat Chief Minister, who is being touted by many as the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate in 2014, had to face protests in the national capital last month when he arrived for his first public address at Delhi University``s prestigious Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof