Not targeting Team Anna, says CBDT chief
New Delhi: Top income tax authority Friday
said it has not given direction for targeting anyone for political reasons and action against a member of team Anna
would have come in "normal manner".
A specific case "would have come up in normal manner ...
No direction, anything (has been )given to anyone to
treat any such case in a particular manner. We never give
(directions)," Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes
(CBDT) M C Joshi said on the sidelines of an Assocham function
Joshi made these remarks when a reporter asked him whether the government was settling political scores by sending income tax notices to Kiran Bedi, a key member of team Anna.
The Income Tax department recently sent notices for
scrutiny to two NGOs associated with Bedi, former IPS officer.
Arvind Kejriwal, former Indian Revenue Service officer
and a prominent member of the crusader`s team, was also served
notice for alleged violation of the service rules and recovery
Joshi said, "I would only say that in all cases action is
taken in accordance with law. It is the IT officer or
jurisdiction officer who takes action. We have not issued any
order to anyone. In media something has been highlihted..in
fact it has come as news to me also".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler