Not targeting Team Anna, says CBDT chief
New Delhi: Top income tax authority Friday
said it has not given direction for targeting anyone for political reasons and action against a member of team Anna
would have come in "normal manner".
A specific case "would have come up in normal manner ...
No direction, anything (has been )given to anyone to
treat any such case in a particular manner. We never give
(directions)," Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes
(CBDT) M C Joshi said on the sidelines of an Assocham function
Joshi made these remarks when a reporter asked him whether the government was settling political scores by sending income tax notices to Kiran Bedi, a key member of team Anna.
The Income Tax department recently sent notices for
scrutiny to two NGOs associated with Bedi, former IPS officer.
Arvind Kejriwal, former Indian Revenue Service officer
and a prominent member of the crusader`s team, was also served
notice for alleged violation of the service rules and recovery
Joshi said, "I would only say that in all cases action is
taken in accordance with law. It is the IT officer or
jurisdiction officer who takes action. We have not issued any
order to anyone. In media something has been highlihted..in
fact it has come as news to me also".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes
- Pampore terror attack: Centre to send committee to find reason behind security lapse