Not targeting Team Anna, says CBDT chief
New Delhi: Top income tax authority Friday
said it has not given direction for targeting anyone for political reasons and action against a member of team Anna
would have come in "normal manner".
A specific case "would have come up in normal manner ...
No direction, anything (has been )given to anyone to
treat any such case in a particular manner. We never give
(directions)," Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes
(CBDT) M C Joshi said on the sidelines of an Assocham function
Joshi made these remarks when a reporter asked him whether the government was settling political scores by sending income tax notices to Kiran Bedi, a key member of team Anna.
The Income Tax department recently sent notices for
scrutiny to two NGOs associated with Bedi, former IPS officer.
Arvind Kejriwal, former Indian Revenue Service officer
and a prominent member of the crusader`s team, was also served
notice for alleged violation of the service rules and recovery
Joshi said, "I would only say that in all cases action is
taken in accordance with law. It is the IT officer or
jurisdiction officer who takes action. We have not issued any
order to anyone. In media something has been highlihted..in
fact it has come as news to me also".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach