Nothing left to say about objections to nomination: Pranab
Bhopal: A day after the Election Commission rejected the petition filed by the PA Sangma camp objecting to the nomination of Pranab Mukherjee, the UPA Presidential candidate on Wednesday said it was now a closed chapter.
"Since all the disputes about my nomination have been resolved by the returning officer, there was nothing left for me to say about them," Mukhejree said during an interaction with the media here.
Citing Constitutional and legal provisions, the Election Commission yesterday rejected the petition of opposition- backed P A Sangma camp saying it was not maintainable before it.
On the many charges levelled against him, Mukherjee said, "I do not indulge in mud-slinging."
Mukherjee arrived here today as a part of his campaign tour. He first drove to a hotel where he met Congress MLAs and MPs from Madhya Pradesh.
All seven MLAs from BSP and the lone Samajwadi Party MLA from the state also met him.
Later he said that he was thankful to the various political parties, including the Shiv Sena, JD (U) and CPI(M), which have extended support to him.
It was the duty of the President to defend, protect and preserve the Constitution, he said.
Asked if he was worried about the call for "conscience vote" by Sangma, Mukherjee said that "everyone always votes as per the conscience".
Sangma, who visited the state for canvassing votes earlier, had said that he was hopeful of a repeat of conscience vote for him on the lines of the 1969 Presidential election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception