Nothing to hide on coal blocks: Narayanasamy
New Delhi: The government had nothing to hide, and decisions on coal block allocations were taken on the basis of recommendations of state governments, Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V Narayanasamy said on Thursday.
Narayanasamy told reporters Thursday that it has been the stand of the government that allocations have been made to public sector undertakings and some private companies "on the recommendations of state governments where coal blocks were available".
"We have nothing to hide," he said.
Narayanasamy did not comment on remarks of former coal secretary P.C. Parakh that it was Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who decided on the allocation of two Odisha coal blocks in 2005, over which the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) filed a First Information Report (FIR) Tuesday.
"The matter is sub judice. It is being investigated by the CBI," the minister said.
The CBI Tuesday filed an FIR against Parakh and industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla for alleged irregularities and criminal conspiracy in the allocation of the two blocks.
Parakh said he did not know why the CBI thought Birla and he were in a conspiracy, when the person who took the decision was not part of it.
"If a conspiracy is there, everyone is part of the conspiracy. If we are accused, the PM is as much a part of the conspiracy," Parakh said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday said that the prime minister should take "final responsibility" for irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks, and resign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Heat wave in India: Useful tips and safety guidelines!
- Watch: Beautiful time-lapse video of a night flight from India to China!
- Kerala minister, Left candidate attacked with chair, stones during live TV debate
- Can you see the correct picture? Click to know
- Narendra Modi, his govt protecting AgustaWestland for last two years: Congress