Nothing wrong if Jethmalani defends Binayak Sen, says BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday said it saw nothing
wrong in party MP and eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani`s
willingness to defend rights activist Binayak Sen, sentenced
by a trial court to life imprisonment for sedition, saying he
has a right to practice his profession.
"Ram Jethmalani has a profession to himself... There is
nothing (for the BJP to say) as far as giving a brief to him
is concerned," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
Jethmalani has offered to take up the case of Sen, who
has been given a life sentence by a sessions court in Raipur.
The move could cause embarrassment to the BJP which is in
power in Chhattisgarh.
"Personally, I think the case is weak. I think Sen has
been wrongly convicted...If I am approached by any friend or
representative of Binayak Sen, I would be quite willing to
appear for him and do my best for his defence," he had said.
A Rajya Sabha MP from Rajasthan, Jethmalani has put BJP
to embarrassment on earlier occasions too.
Recently, he had supported the government-appointed
interlocutors to handle the Kashmir problem. The BJP was
targetting the interlocutors saying they were exceeding their
brief and negotiating through the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro to be launched today; Is Mi Notebook on the way too?
- Income Tax raid at AAP legislator's residence
- Bezwada Wilson, T M Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Caribbean Premier League eyes US ahead of T20 games
- Mayawati slur row: Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh spotted in Jharkhand – See pics