Nothing wrong if Jethmalani defends Binayak Sen, says BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday said it saw nothing
wrong in party MP and eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani`s
willingness to defend rights activist Binayak Sen, sentenced
by a trial court to life imprisonment for sedition, saying he
has a right to practice his profession.
"Ram Jethmalani has a profession to himself... There is
nothing (for the BJP to say) as far as giving a brief to him
is concerned," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
Jethmalani has offered to take up the case of Sen, who
has been given a life sentence by a sessions court in Raipur.
The move could cause embarrassment to the BJP which is in
power in Chhattisgarh.
"Personally, I think the case is weak. I think Sen has
been wrongly convicted...If I am approached by any friend or
representative of Binayak Sen, I would be quite willing to
appear for him and do my best for his defence," he had said.
A Rajya Sabha MP from Rajasthan, Jethmalani has put BJP
to embarrassment on earlier occasions too.
Recently, he had supported the government-appointed
interlocutors to handle the Kashmir problem. The BJP was
targetting the interlocutors saying they were exceeding their
brief and negotiating through the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez