Nothing wrong if Jethmalani defends Binayak Sen, says BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday said it saw nothing
wrong in party MP and eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani`s
willingness to defend rights activist Binayak Sen, sentenced
by a trial court to life imprisonment for sedition, saying he
has a right to practice his profession.
"Ram Jethmalani has a profession to himself... There is
nothing (for the BJP to say) as far as giving a brief to him
is concerned," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
Jethmalani has offered to take up the case of Sen, who
has been given a life sentence by a sessions court in Raipur.
The move could cause embarrassment to the BJP which is in
power in Chhattisgarh.
"Personally, I think the case is weak. I think Sen has
been wrongly convicted...If I am approached by any friend or
representative of Binayak Sen, I would be quite willing to
appear for him and do my best for his defence," he had said.
A Rajya Sabha MP from Rajasthan, Jethmalani has put BJP
to embarrassment on earlier occasions too.
Recently, he had supported the government-appointed
interlocutors to handle the Kashmir problem. The BJP was
targetting the interlocutors saying they were exceeding their
brief and negotiating through the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31