`Nothing wrong in Shinde`s remark praising Cong chief on IB appointment`
New Delhi: Congress on Monday found nothing wrong in Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s remark giving credit to party chief Sonia Gandhi for the appointment of a Muslim IPS officer as IB chief and made it clear this will not be highlighted in Gujarat poll campaign.
"There are many members from the minority community, who have been heads of many organisations. But when national leaders go to Gujarat, the issue of ill treatment to minority comes up. So it depends on the context in which he (Shinde) said something. But it is not going to be a point of our campaign," party spokesperson P C Chacko told reporters here.
He was responding to media queries on whether it was right to refer to the community origin of the new IB chief in election campaign.
Chacko at the same time found nothing wrong in Shinde praising Gandhi for the appointment of senior IPS officer S A Ibrahim as the Intelligence Bureau chief.
"In a democracy, it is the party, which takes decisions that the government is implementing. There is no doubt that Gandhi`s leadership is giving directions to the government.
"There is no wrong in giving credit to the Congress President for something that is happening in the Congress-led government," he said.
Shinde had yesterday reportedly said in Gujarat that nobody from the SC category and Muslim community went to the extent of becoming IB chief since Independence.
He also referred to himself saying it was because of the AICC president that he, too, despite being a Dalit could become the Home Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know